The next Municipal Election is Monday, October 16, 2017.
Kneehill County voters elect Councillors in seven districts. To see a map of the Electoral Districts, please click Electoral District Map. The Reeve and Deputy Reeve are elected annually at the Organizational Meeting.
Are you interested in running?
Check out our Candidate Handbook. (6 MB)
In accordance with the changes to the Local Authorities Election Act, individuals must register their intention to be a candidate. If someone wishes to run in the Kneehill County Municipal Election and intends to begin raising funds and receiving donations for that purpose, they MUST be registered with Kneehill County under Section 147.2 of the Elections Act before accepting campaign contributions.
The application for Registration of Notice of Intent to Become a Candidate for Municipal Office is available here.
To register, candidates complete and submit the original application to Kneehill County, Legislative Services, Box 400, 1600 2nd Street NE, Three Hills, Alberta, T0M 2A0.
Candidates for the 2017 Municipal Election who accept campaign contributions are required to disclose:
- Full name and address
- Address where candidate records are maintained.
- Names and addresses of financial institutions where campaign contributions are deposited
- Names of signing authorities for all institutions listed
- Once the intention to run has been filed, candidates must report any information changes to Legislative Services in writing by email, mail or fax withing 48 hours of the changes.
Maureen Chalack, Returning Officer
1600-2nd Street NE
Three Hills, AB T0M 2A0
Nomination and Acceptance Form
Nomination Eligibility--potential candidates must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- eligible to vote in this election
- a resident of Kneehill County and electoral district for six consecutive months prior to nomination day
- not otherwise ineligible or disqualified (See Section 22 of the Local Authorities Election Act for Ineligibility of Candidates)
Voter Eligibility--you are eligible to vote if you meet ALL the following requirements:
- 18 years or older
- a Canadian Citizen
- have lived in Alberta for six consecutive months prior to Election Day
- a resident of Kneehill County on Election Day
- have acceptable voter identification (Two pieces current Government Issued, one with Photo identification)
- have not voted in this election before
- sign a declaration you meet these qualifications
Local Authorities Election Act- FAQ
Running for Municipal Office in Alberta- A Candidates Guide
Municipal Affairs Election Forms.