2021 Dust Control Program: Apply by Friday, June 18, 2021, at 4:30 PM
The purpose of the program is to improve the quality of life in Kneehill County, where dust abatement agents may be applied on rural roads in front of farmsteads or residences.
Dust suppression treatment can be applied for a minimum of 125 m to a maximum of 250 m in front of a residence on a municipal road allowance. No additional footage will be applied.
Dust Control Applications
Dust Control Prices
- CALCIUM CHLORIDE- $10.47 per meter, plus GST
- SPEC CRUDE- $39.35 per meter, plus GST.
Payments can be made through the following options:
- Cheque sent through the mail. (Kneehill County, Box 400, Three Hills, AB, T0M 2A0)
- Credit Card via phone (403-443-5541) at the Kneehill County Administrative Office. Payments over $800 must be accompanied by the Credit Card Authorization Form, found here.
- Online Payment. For Online Payments through your financial institution please use Kneehill County General Account: DUST001.
To be eligible for the program, a completed Dust Suppression Application and full payment must be received by Kneehill County by Friday, June 18, 2021, at 4:30 PM.
Dust control is processed in accordance with Operations Policies. If a ratepayer would like a dust control treatment applied in front of their residence a Dust Control Application must be filled out and received by the County. The County will then prepare the road surface for treatment and maintain the road at its discretion.
Road Crush vs Washed Rock
Road surface gravel needs to be able to hold itself together to fight the effects of water and traffic. It requires a binder, in the form of particles of silt and clay to fill the voids between the larger aggregates and act as a sort of cement, surface gravel should not allow water to pass through into the base.
Chlorides are hygroscopic compounds that draw moisture from the air and keep the road surface damp even under hot, dry conditions. It will become slippery with heavy rainfalls but will become a hard surface once dry. It is also used as a soil stabilizer for the road itself. Kneehill County is supplying a fresh supply of gravel before the application of any dust suppressant and this should help with any pothole issues as well.
Director of Transportation Contact: