Do I Need A Development Permit?

What is a Development?

Development includes the carrying out of any construction, excavation, stockpiling or other operation, in, on, over or under land, or the making of any change in the use or intensity of use of any land or building either permanently or temporarily. The Province allows municipalities, through the Municipal Land Use Bylaw, to regulate developments via the "Development Permit" process; however, not all developments require the issuance of a development permit. Please consult the County Development Officer in order to determine whether your development requires the issuance of a permit.

What is a Development Permit?

A development permit is a document permitting a specific development and may include conditions imposed to ensure that the development complies with the current Land Use Bylaw. The issuance and approval of a development permit is proof that the subject development conforms to applicable development standards (e.g. height limitations and required setbacks) and, as a "use" of the land, is appropriate and permissible. The development permit is separate and distinct from a Building Permit. In addition to the development permit, a building permit may also be required. The approval of a building permit is proof that the structure conforms to the relevant safety codes.

When is a Development Permit Required?

Development permits are generally required for any construction (including: new construction, additions and structural renovations), change of use of land or a building, or a change in the intensity of land or building use. Examples of developments requiring permit approval include: expansion of an existing approved business, a mobile home, a structural alteration to an existing building, the relocation of an existing building, a fence over 3 feet in height (when located in a front yard, and 6 feet when located in side yards).

When is a Development Permit NOT Required?

  • Maintenance or repair to any building without structural alterations or major works of renovation.
  • Shelterbelts as per section 14(1)(c) of LUB
  • Construction, maintenance and repair of private walkways, pathways, driveways
  • Construction of an accessory building or structure less than 2.0m (6.5 ft) high and not more than 18.58 m2 (200ft) however, these must follow set back requirements.
  • Uncovered decks. However you may need a building permit
  • Satellite dish, light standard, or flagpole and structures less than 4.5m (15ft) in height, on a parcel containing a single detached dwelling, duplex or manufactured home.
  • Signage in accordance with Section 78, signs NOT requiring a development permit.
  • Ornamental pond, shallower than 1m (3.28ft) where its value is decorative.
  • Dugouts & Borrow pits, however these must follow set back regulation.
  • In all districts except the Agriculture District, gates, fences, walls less than 0.9m (3ft) in front yards and less than 1.8m (6ft) in side and rear yards, corner parcels must meet the regulations set out in section 34 of LUB..
  • In the Agriculture District, gates, open fences, walls, or other means of enclosure less than 2.7m (9ft) in height provided they do not impeded sight lines set out for corner parcels in section 34 of LUB.

hiway 21 redneck store

Toll-free 1-866-443-5541

Development Contacts: 

Barb Hazelton
Brandy Morgan
Deanna Keiver

Planning Processes

Land Use Redesignation (Zoning) Process

Redesignation (2)

Once the land is re-designated to the appropriate use, the next step is to apply for a Development Permit.

Development Permit Process