When do I need a Development Permit?

Development permits are generally required for any construction (including new construction, additions, and structural renovations), change of use of land or a building, or a change in the intensity of land or building use. Examples of developments requiring permit approval include expansion of an existing approved business, a mobile home, a structural alteration to an existing building, the relocation of an existing building, a fence over 3 feet in height (when located in a front yard, and 6 feet when located in side yards).

Visit our Development Permit page for more information. 

Planning Department

How long is my development permit good for?

An approved development permit is good for 1 year, unless otherwise specified on the development approval. If construction has not been commenced within that time, the permit is considered null and void and a new application for development will be required.

Planning Department

How much will a development permit cost?

Processing fees are set by the Master Rates Bylaw and vary by type of development. Visit our Development page for more information.

Master Rates Bylaw

Can I move in a mobile home?

Mobile homes 20-35 years of age are considered discretionary use in the Land Use Bylaw and will be taken to the Municipal Planning Commission for approval.

Mobile homes over 35 years of age are prohibited.

Mobile homes must be compatible with other buildings in the vicinity and must be CSA approved. They must be placed on a permanent foundation and completely screened from view by skirting within 60 days of placement of the unit.

A Development Permit and Building Permit are required for a mobile home as well as electrical, plumbing, gas, and private sewage permits.

Visit our Development page for more information. 

Mobile Home

I am building a deck, do I need a permit?

Yes, if the deck is 2 feet or more off the ground. Ensure you install 36” handrails and 42” handrails if the deck is 6 feet or more off the ground. The verticals must have a maximum spacing of 4”.

A Development Permit and Building Permit are required. Visit our Development page for more information.